People with type 2 diabetes are often prescribed tablets and/or injections by their doctor to help manage their blood glucose levels. Taking medication may be part of your diabetes management plan and is best to be used in combination with a healthy diet and regular physical activity. Diabetes medications do not substitute healthy lifestyle choices.
- Know the name of all your medications – it’s a good idea to make a list and keep it in your wallet
- Know the correct dose of your medications
- Understand how your medications work
- Know the correct time to take your medications
- Know the side effects that your medications may cause.
Our diabetes education programs include a workshop called MedSmart for information about diabetes medications.