Group exercise and education sessions for people living with diabetes
Beat It is an 8-week physical activity and lifestyle program delivered by an Accredited Exercise Physiologist.
Funded by the NDSS and free for participants, this program involves moderate intensity aerobic, strength and balance based exercises as well as education sessions on healthier living.
Whether you have exercised before or need some help getting started, the Beat It program will help you on your journey to a healthier and more active life. Classes start slowly and build up as fitness, strength and confidence improves.
Your Exercise Physiologist will tailor individual exercises to your specific needs within a friendly, motivating and supportive environment.
- An initial health and fitness assessment
- 16 group sessions (two per week)
- An individualised exercise program
- Education sessions throughout
- Progress tracking
- A final consultation.
Are you eligible?
Are you a person living with diabetes or other chronic lifestyle conditions who wants to increase their physical activity? If you answered YES, then YES you’re eligible.
There is no age restriction to participate in the Beat It program. The program is designed to meet your personal needs and can be modified according to your current level of fitness and physical capabilities.
To ensure your safety and ongoing good health, anyone with or at risk of diabetes and other chronic lifestyle-related conditions will require medical clearance from their GP prior to participating in the program.
Importantly you must be able to commit to the eight weeks of the program (two sessions per week).
How do you get started?
- Visit our events calendar to find a program near you or contact us on 1800 637 700 to register. Bookings are essential as there are limited places available.
- Once you’re registered, look out for your starter pack in the mail, and get your Medical Clearance form signed by your GP before your initial consultation.
- Attend your 45-minute initial consultation with your Beat It trainer before the eight-week program starts.
- Attend your group exercise and education sessions. You must be able to attend every session for the duration of the eight-weeks.
The results speak for themselves
- 8% of participants have more motivation as a result of the program
- 2% have higher energy levels
- 5% have a better understanding of exercise
- 3% made new friends
- 35% have improved blood pressure
- 6% enjoy healthier eating habits as a result of completing the program.
“I think most people will appreciate the social interaction in a structured group as well as being able to talk to like individuals about diabetes, as well as the physical benefits of doing the exercises.” ~ 71 year male
“I have met a great group of people to exercise with. I am more encouraged to do more exercises and enjoy going.” ~ 57 year female
“Getting out and socialising with other people, meeting new people” ~ 59 year female