Spiced Lentil and Roasted Kumara Soup
- 45 mins
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 877kj
- Protein 12g
- Carbohydrates 30.9g
- Total fats 2.7g
- Saturated fat 0.5g
- Dietary fibre 6.7g
- Sodium 296mg
1 small kumara (orange sweet potato, 250g), cut into 2cm (3/4 inch) cubes
1 small brown onion (80g) chopped coarsely
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup (125ml) salt-reduced vegetable stock
½ teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ cup (50g) dried red lentils, rinsed, drained
2 cups (500ml) water
1/3 cup (95g) low-fat plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Place kumara on a baking-paper-lined oven tray; spray with oil. Bake for 25 minutes until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook onion, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the stock in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring, for three minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add spices; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in lentils, remaining stock and the water; bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add kumara. Cook for 5 minutes. Cool mixture for 10 minutes.
- Blend or process mixture until smooth. Return mixture to pan; stir until hot.
- Combine yoghurt and coriander in a small bowl. Serve soup topped with yoghurt mixture and extra coriander leaves, if you like.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
This soup can be made a day ahead and stored covered in the fridge.
Freeze the soup without the yoghurt mixture in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until hot.