Spiced chicken with lentil salad
- 1 hour
- Energy 2714kj
- Protein 50.5g
- Carbohydrate 55.2g
- Total fat 21.1g
- Saturated fat 5.9g
- Dietary fibre 21.4g
- Sodium 183mg
¾ cup (150g) dried green lentils, rinsed, drained
1 clove garlic, peeled, bruised
1 dried bay leaf
¼ butternut pumpkin (500g)
1 small carrot (70g)
1 small beetroot (100g), peeled
1 small red onion (100g), cut into wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon mild paprika
½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
200g (6½-ounce) chicken breast fillet
½ teaspoon each ground coriander and turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin, extra
100g (3 ounces) radicchio, shredded
40g (1½ ounces) goat’s cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon micro red radish leaves
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons verjuice (e.g. unripened grape juice)
½ teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Combine lentils, garlic and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Cover well with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain; discard bay leaf and garlic. Transfer lentils to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut pumpkin, carrot and beetroot into 2cm (¾-inch) pieces; combine with onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the oil; sprinkle with cumin, paprika and thyme, toss well to coat. Spread vegetable mixture on oven tray. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, or until tender.
- Make mustard dressing: Place ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well to combine. Season with pepper.
- Add vegetables, parsley and dressing to lentils; mix well.
- Rub remaining oil over the chicken, sprinkle with combined ground coriander, turmeric and extra cumin. Cook chicken on a heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over medium-high heat for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat; stand, covered, for 5 minutes, before slicing.
- Arrange radicchio on serving plates, top with lentil salad, chicken, cheese and micro leaves.
Recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly, Food for Life, by arrangement Bauer Books, a division Bauer Media Australia. Copyright © 2017