Pumpkin, hummus, beetroot and quinoa salad
This vibrant and colourful salad is nutritious and delicious.
- 1 hour 10 mins
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2,211kJ
- Total fat 32g
- - sat fat 6.2g
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fibre 11g
- Sodium 565mg
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ (550g) butternut pumpkin
- 4 medium fresh beetroot (thinly sliced using mandolin)
- 200g low fat Greek yoghurt
- 150g spinach leaves
- 75g fetta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp coriander seeds (crushed)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup (50g) pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 160C. Wash the pumpkin and remove seeds. Slice pumpkin into wedges and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzling oil (20ml) and sprinkle with turmeric and coriander seeds. Bake for 1 hour or until tender and caramelised.
- Cook the well rinsed quinoa with water in a pot until the quinoa has absorbed all the water about 15-20 mins. Set aside for use.
- Wash, peel and slice the beetroot. Place in a bowl with vinegar and pickle for 15 mins, then drain.
- To make the dressing, combine turmeric, yoghurt and extra olive oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Spread the hummus over a plate. Arrange pumpkin, spinach and pickled beetroot. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and fetta cheese. Drizzle with the turmeric and yoghurt dressing to serve.
By Michelle Tong, APD CDE, Diabetes Queensland