Orange and Clove Glazed Pork Roast
- 1 hour
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2018.4kj
- Protein 41.6g
- Carbohydrate 27.5g
- Total fat 24g
- Saturated fat 6.6g
- Dietary fibre 6.1g
- Sodium 114.8mg
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 oranges, juiced and zest grated
2 teaspoons of mustard
1 tsp cloves, plus extra for studding
1 kg pork leg roast
500g potatoes, washed and halved
500g pumpkin, cut into 5cm chunks
500g green beans, topped and tailed
- In a small saucepan, heat honey over medium heat for approximately one minute. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, orange zest and juice, mustard and cloves, and simmer for 10 minutes, until the glaze has reduced into half the amount.
- Remove skin and most of the fat from the pork leg. Cut a criss cross shape into the outside of the leg, and stud the crosses with cloves.
- Place pork on a rack in a large roasting pan (so the pork sits above the roasting pan). Half fill roasting pan with water and brush pork liberally with glaze. Reserve at least half of the glaze to baste the pork frequently during roasting. Roast for approximately 45 minutes or until golden. Remember to baste!
- While the pork leg is roasting, steam the potato and pumpkin chunks until half soft, either with a stovetop steaming pot or in the microwave (place an inch of water in the base of a microwave safe dish, add the pumpkin and potato, cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes). Transfer the pumpkin and potatoes into a large roasting tray, and drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes until crisp.
- Stream the beans in the same manner.
- Serve pork with the vegetables, and enjoy the star of Christmas – your orange and clove glazed pork roast.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Alternatively serve the roast with a fresh garden salad, for more of a traditional Australian Christmas meal!