Moroccan vegetables and chickpea couscous
- 30 mins
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1082kj
- Protein 10.3g
- Carbohydrate 37.3g
- Total fat 5.3g
- Saturated fat 0.7g
- Dietary fibre 7.6g
- Sodium 262mg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small eggplant, cut into cubes
2 zucchini, cut into cubes
1 carrot, cut into slices
1/2 cauliflower, cut into wedges
1 onion, chopped
2 1/2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
400g canned chopped tomatoes, salt reduced
2 tablespoons tomato paste, salt reduced
150ml vegetable stock, salt reduced*
200g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
200g green beans, halved
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
400ml boiling water
Strips of fresh red chili, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the eggplant zucchinis, carrot, cauliflower, onion, ginger, and garlic, and fry gently, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the cumin and chili powder, and continue to fry for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable stock, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes, adding the chickpeas and beans halfway through the cooking time. Season well.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Leave to soak for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve the vegetables on the couscous, garnished with the red chili strips.