Heart healthy salad
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1096kJ
- Protein 17g
- Total fat 12g
- - saturated fat 2.3g
- Carbohydrate 16.8g
- Fibre 6.9g
- Sodium 182.2mg
- 400g fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and drained
- 1 small avocado, chopped or sliced
- 1 x 200g punnet of cherry tomatoes, each sliced in half
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed – gives about 240g chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 teaspoons pepitas
- 4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon macadamia nut oil
1 Toast the sunflower and sesame seeds and pepitas in a small pan for a few minutes. Shake the whole time it is on the heat so they don’t burn. Put aside to cool.
2 In a bowl, place the spinach leaves, avocado, halved cherry tomatoes and drained and rinsed chickpeas, and toss.
3 Just before serving, whisk together the vinegar and oil in a small bowl or jug and pour over the salad.
4 Sprinkle over the cooled, toasted seeds.
Dale Cooke, APD