Sweet potato shepherd’s pie with mince and mushrooms
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup reduced salt vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250g Lean beef/lamb mince
- 1 ½ cups frozen vegetables (e.g. cauliflower, green beans,
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
Balsamic vinegar mushrooms:
- 250g Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 clove crushed garlic
1) Thoroughly wash, peel and roughly chop the sweet potatoes into
2) Place sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover it with water and
bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium heat and cook for
another 15-20 minutes or until tender.
3) Drain the sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl and use a masher or
fork to mash until smooth. Add olive oil and salt. Put aside.
1) Preheat the oven to 180C.
2) Add sliced mushroom in a bowl and mix well with garlic, olive
oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and black pepper. Leave aside to
3) In a large pot over medium heat, once hot, add olive oil,
garlic and onions to sauté until golden brown. Turn up the heat to
high and add the mince until brown.
4) Sprinkle over flour and stir to combine.
5) Add remaining ingredients (thyme, oregano, vegetable stock,
frozen vegetables), stir and bring to simmer and until sauce
6) Remove from heat.
7) Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat, spread the mushroom with
marinate into even layers on the pan and cook on both sides for 1-2
minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
1) Lay the mince and vegetable mixture on an oven-safe baking dish
and layer with Portobello mushrooms, then cover with the sweet
2) Bake the dish in the oven for 20 minutes or until the sweet
potatoes start to brown