Roasted eggplant with spiced lamb
A low GI, high protein meal for two.
1 large eggplant (500g), halved lengthways
2 teaspoons olive oil
350g cauliflower, chopped coarsely
150g lean minced (ground) lamb
1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
1/2 cup (140g) fat-free natural yoghurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons currants
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/2 teaspoon sumac
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F. Line a large oven tray with
- Using a sharp knife score the eggplant flesh diagonally.
Drizzle with half the oil. Place flesh-side down on tray. Roast for
10 minutes. Add cauliflower to tray; drizzle with remaining oil.
Roast further 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium oiled non-stick frying pan over high
heat; cook lamb, spices and water, stirring, until browned. Add
pomegranate molasses. Remove from heat.
- Combine yoghurt, juice and garlic in small bowl.
- Serve eggplant topped with cauliflower, lamb, currants and
coriander. Spoon yoghurt mixture and sprinkle with
TIP: Sumac is a spice made from ground berries
and has a lemony flavour. It is available from supermarkets and