Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
Dessert recipe for family and friends. Be sure to impress with
this tasty treat.
- 3 medium granny smith apples, cored and cut into small
- 1 bunch of rhubarb trimmed, washed and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of wholemeal flour
- 60g reduce fat polyunsaturated margarine
- 90g bran flakes
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Reduced fat vanilla ice cream to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan forced. Lightly grease an
oven proof baking dish.
To make the filling, place the apples, rhubarb, 1/3 cup water,
caster sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cover
and simmer for 10 minutes, or until apples and rhubarb are just
Meanwhile, place the flour, margarine, bran flakes, oats, brown
sugar and ginger in a mixing bowl. Use your fingers to rub in the
margarine until well combined and large crumbs form.
Spoon the fruit into the baking dish, sprinkle the topping
evenly over the fruit. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and
bubbling. Serve with 1 scoop of reduced fat vanilla ice cream.