Braised chicken with spinach and lentils
This braised chicken with spinach and lentils recipe is low in fat and high in protein and fibre.
- 30 mins
- Energy 2500kj
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Total fat 13g
- Saturated fat 2.5g
- Dietary fibre 14g
- Sodium 655mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 x 170g chicken breast fillets, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 120g baby spinach leaves
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 4 crusty bread rolls, to serve
- Heat oil in a deep frypan over medium-high heat. In 2 batches, add chicken and brown all over for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion, celery stalk, garlic and thyme, then season. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until vegetables soften.
- Return chicken to pan with stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Stir in spinach, celery leaves and lentils, then cook for 3-4 minutes until spinach is wilted and lentils are warmed through.
- Serve with crusty bread.