Beef and Red Wine Casserole
- 2 hours
- Energy 300kj
- Protein 6.4g
- Carbohydrate 6.0g
- Total fat 1.5g
- Saturated fat 0.5g
- Dietary fibre 2.2g
- Sodium 55mg
400g chuck or blade steak, fat trimmed and cubed
1/3 cup wholemeal plain flour
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup red wine
1 1/4 cups reduced salt beef stock
500g onions, cut into rough wedges
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
400g carrots, roughly chopped
2 medium celery stalks (20cm long), finely chopped
250g green beans, topped, tailed and roughly chopped
250g button mushrooms
300g red kidney beans (reduced or no added salt)
500g potatoes, washed and roughly chopped into quarters
- In a mixing bowl, add the steak and flour, and give everything a good toss to coat the steak with the flour.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil and brown the meat. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Into the same pan, add the red wine, and bring to the boil. Add the beef stock, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, green beans, mushrooms, kidney beans, and potato. Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Return the meat to the pan. Pour the mixture into a roasting pan, and place in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for 2 hours.
- Serve on a wintery night, as a warming, welcoming meal.