When you are unwell
It is important to have a sick plan in place to help manage your
diabetes during times of illness.
Contact your doctor or diabetes educator
- You can't eat normally - you probably still need to keep taking
your diabetes tablets or insulin, and will need advice about what
- You're not well enough to follow the important steps outlined
- Your blood glucose level is consistently above 15mmol/L for
more than 12 hours
- Vomiting or diarrhoea continues for more than 12 hours
- You continue to feel unwell or become drowsy
If you experience breathlessness, drowsiness, have a 'fruity'
odour to your breath, or are unable to keep fluid down, consult a