When you are unwell
It is important to have a sick plan in place to help manage your
diabetes during times of illness. You will need to discuss your
sick day plan with your diabetes health care team.
Contact your doctor or diabetes educator
- You can't eat normally - you probably still need to keep taking
your insulin, and will need advice about what to do
- Your blood glucose level is consistently above 15mmol/L for
more than 12 hours
- Vomiting or diarrhoea continues for more than 12 hours
- You continue to feel unwell or become drowsy
- Urine ketones are moderate/heavy and blood glucose is over
- Blood ketones are more than 0.6mmol/L
If you experience breathlessness, drowsiness, have a 'fruity'
odour to your breath or are unable to keep fluid down, you should
contact a health professional immediately.