In the workplace
Diabetes and employment
When diagnosed with diabetes people often have questions about their employment:
- Should I disclose my diabetes to my employer?
- What if my job requires me to drive?
- Do l have to disclose my diabetes to my superannuation fund or insurance company?
- Do l have a right to reasonable adjustments at the workplace?
- How do I manage diabetes at work?
Diabetes Queensland has produced a comprehensive guide for employees: An Employee’s Guide to Diabetes in the Workplace – which was developed to overcome misconceptions and ignorance around diabetes in the workplace. The booklet contains in depth information about your rights and responsibilities as an employee.
Your individual diabetes management plan should include a section on work. It is recommended that you discuss the detail of your work with the members of your diabetes healthcare team.