Six mango-licious food ideas
Hip-hip Hooray! Mango season is finally here!
Mangoes are Queensland's favourite seasonal fruit, and why wouldn't
they be? They are a delicious healthy snack, high in energy,
low in fat and are a great source of fibre and vitamins essential
for good health.
Mangoes are such hot property that the first mango tray of the
season was auctioned off for $30,000 at the 2014 Brisbane Markets Mango Auction!
Diabetes Queensland couldn't be prouder to have been selected again
as one of the lucky beneficiaries.
So what's your favourite way to eat a mango? Do you slice it into
cubes (aka 'hedgehog' style) and suck the cubes off the skin?
Apparently this is the most popular way Aussies eat mangoes
because it's quick, easy and gloriously messy.
However there are hundreds of other ways to enjoy mangoes and
turn a boring breakfast, lunch or dinner into a tasty masterpiece.
Here's a few mango-licious ideas to get you drooling.
- Smoothie: add fresh mango to your fruit smoothie to keep you
feeling full for longer
- Home-made ice-pops: puree fresh cut mango in a blender or food
processor and place in ice cube trays. Stick in a popsicle stick or
toothpick and freeze
- Fruit kebabs: slice or cube your favourite fruits including
banana, strawberries and mangoes to make a delicious afternoon tea
snack that can also be dipped into some natural yoghurt
- Sauce: drizzle mango puree over grilled or sautéed chicken,
pork or fish
- Salad: toss mango chunks into your salad to add colour and
flavour - it's sure to be a hit with the kids as well
- Breakfast: scatter diced mango bits over your oats, muesli and
cereal to add a little natural sweetness
Source: Brisbane Markets, 2014